Thursday, August 04, 2016

A Crock of Chicken

We eat a LOT of chicken here.  I believe that most Americans do.  It's very healthy and certain cuts are inexpensive.  Luckily for us, those inexpensive cuts are thighs and drums.  I love chicken thighs and not too long ago it was reported that they are just as good for you as breast meat.  Drumsticks are a great alternative to wings at a fraction of the price and more meaty to boot!

However, I do tire of eating the same meal all the time, or even just the same preparation of one dish.

My new recipe is a crockpot recipe.  What I love about utilizing a crockpot/slow-cooker is, I can prepare everything as early as I have time for and then let it cook all day without having to stand over it in the kitchen.  It saves so much time and meats always fall apart in tenderness from cooking at a low temperature.  It's a win/win and I find myself wondering why I don't cook this way more often.

Slow Cooked Chicken Marsala
  • 3 Bone-in Chicken Thighs
  • 1/4 Cup Chopped Sundried Tomatoes
  • 1 Pint Halved Grape Tomatoes
  • 8 Oz Sliced Bella Mushrooms
  • 2 Tablespoons Artichoke Antipasto
  • 1/4 Cup Sliced Kalamata Olives
  • 1 tsp Thyme
  • 1/2 Cup Marsala (Wine)
  • 2 Cups Vegetable Broth/Stock
  • Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper to Taste

Combine all ingredients in your crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7 hours.


About 40 minutes before you want to eat, remove chicken and set on a large plate or in a bowl and let cool until you can handle it to pull it apart.  I know some people use two forks to pull/shred chicken for meals, however, I like to hand pull the meat so I can leave it a bit chunkier.  It's up to you!  Then mix the chicken back into the crockpot and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment