Monday, July 25, 2016

What to Eat When You Don't Want to Heat Up the Kitchen

Gazpacho!

I'm sorry, that wasn't a sneeze.  Gazpacho is an appetizer attributed to Spain.  It's a soup you serve cold, and you don't need to cook any of the ingredients to make it.  This makes it a perfect dish to serve when we're in the middle of a heat wave and the thought of turning on your stove or oven is enough to send you into a heat stroke.

Earlier this week, I made a gazpacho and served it with sandwiches.  It was the perfect fare for this 93+ week here in PA.

The recipe I followed was this Blender Gazpacho from Martha Stewart.  I used two large beefsteak tomatoes, 1 cup roasted red peppers, 3 slices of Udi's gluten free bread that I toasted, 1/2 of a small regular cucumber.  The rest of the ingredients were as instructed in the recipe.  My John was weary about trying a cold soup, stating the idea of chilled soup was off-putting, but he loved this!

The sandwiches I made were bacon and avocado.  Toast four slices of bread, I used Udi's gluten free multigrain.  As far as cooking bacon goes, I cut the package in half with scissors so all the bacon slices are half slices.  Crisp up enough for 5 half slices each sandwich (10 for two).  I buy uncured as I hear those pesky added nitrates are no good for you, plus it's not as salty.  Regular bacon is way too salty for us.  Cut a ripe avocado in half lengthwise, twist and pull apart.  Take the back end of your knife and hit the pit with the blade, twist, and the pit should pop right out.  Thinly slice the avocado.  Slather on some classic hummus, add the avocado and bacon.  It's wonderful with this tomato based gazpacho.

We also eat of lot of meals that are sliced fruits and veggies with hummus, prosciutto or dry sausage, olives, cheese, nuts.  It's mostly because it's quick and easy, but in the summer it's also light and refreshing without heating up my kitchen.

What is your favorite summer cuisine at home?  Please let me know how you like the gazpacho!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try this! Thank you, I love to cook but hate heating the kitchen on a hot humid day. This will be refreshing at the pond.

    ReplyDelete