Wednesday, January 31, 2018

The Soaping Diaries - Book Review One

The Everything Soapmaking Book: 3rd Edition

I purchased two books when I decided I wanted to learn how to make natural soap, and this was one of them.  It took me some time between getting my books and actually making soap - but I am addicted to it now!

This book is the one I reference most.  Yes, it lacks nice images.  However, the other book I purchased is loaded with professional images and lacks a lot of content that I need.  This book is more comprehensive on topics such as cure time for varying processes, tools, and clean up procedures to considerations like how to package, putting together gift baskets, and why/when to consider selling product.  It even goes into using the knowledge you learn from the book to create your own recipes!

I by no means read this in order from chapter to chapter, though I did skim through it in order upon first receiving the book.  It is overwhelming that way!  I skip around to where the information I want is - there is a complete Table of Contents so you can easily find the information you want when you need it. 

I started out making cold process soap from a kit I purchased through Bramble Berry (which is the first supplier listed in the appendix for resources).  Then I moved on to Shower Steamers and Melt & Pour Soap.  I am getting ready to make more CP.  However, I am so happy for the Hot Process and Liquid Soap sections in this book since I really want to create liquid hand soap and body washes.  This book really does have everything you need to get started and stay going in the soaping hobby/business.

I'd say this is a must have for anyone interested in learning how to get started the right way.  The author even says to start small on your budget so that if it turns out you never want to make a second soap, you didn't end up investing a lot of money on something you won't ever do again.  Sage advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment